Christians are Assholes

Christians are assholes. Christians are hypocrites. Christians are know it all’s. Christians are bigots.

Those are just a few of the many things us Christians supposedly are.

Even though I grew up as a music ministers daughter in a Baptist church, I am not the most religion person as some of you that have read some of my other blogs already know. I do have flaws, I do sin, and I do swear… a lot!

From the time I could remember we attended church every Sunday morning and night as well on Wednesday nights. We all loved going to church. Our pastor and his family was a not only a part of our church family but were a part of our outside family.

I remember seeing church as a safe place. I remember playing Power Rangers in the pews while our Preacher would Preach (I was yellow cause she is the shit). I remember going to the kitchen after they would serve the Blood of God (Grape Juice) and my church Grandpa, as I called him, would let me drink all the rest of the cups of “wine”. I though it was the coolest thing ever! I remember the day I went and asked our Pastor to baptize me. I remember all the ugly cries I would cry when my dad would sing those certain songs.

As I got older I started to dread those Sunday mornings and more so those Sunday nights. Wednesday weren’t so bad because I at least got to be with my friends.

I didn’t dread church because I didn’t believe what I was being taught. There were many different reasons. As a young teenager those early mornings would just suck, I used to like my sleep and of course I would have rather been with my friends. As an older teen til now I dreaded and still do those judgmental people who are supposedly Christians.

My later teen years I started realizing that you will find the most judgmental people sitting right next to you with their hand raised praising Jesus. But what Carol don’t realize is we all see you whispering to Betty during the “welcoming” time. (Carol and Betty are not real people lol. Those were just the names that popped in my head.)

Those “Christians” is why we are labeled as assholes, hypocrites, bigots, etc.

My family and I was always supposed to be the perfect family. We were the supposed to be the family who did no wrong because my dad was the Music Minister. But isn’t that why we go to church? Because we are all imperfect and we all have something to confess for…?

What those ladies and men don’t realize is those snarky remarks and cold stares are part of the reason why we have unbelievers. Why they walked into church for the first time and never went back. Why they believe all Christians are judgmental and hateful. Why those who left because of them may unfortunately be told the unthinkable on judgement day.

My husband was one of those “judged” people. He was judged by the tattoos on his arms and the tongue ring in his mouth. Because of those “Christians” he never will step a foot back into a church.

My family and I, even though my dad was a leader in the church, was judged. Except sadly the people who judged weren’t so secret about it. They would hug us, ask how we were and then run to the listening ear and say what they heard. My mom is an open book. If you ask her how things are she will tell you exactly how they are whether they are good or bad. This is one of the things I love about my mom but unfortunately so did the gossipers at church. My mom has struggled with Bi-Polar for a long time which causes her to have bad days. Some of those bad days causes her to be extremely tired. It can hit her out of the blue. This has happened a few times at church, and lord did those ladies flock to it like it was a Starbucks, not for support but for ammo.

I have yet to step foot back into a church since this has happened. Not because I do not believe in God. I still Pray, I still believe judgement day is coming, and I still hope to walk those stairs. I have not went back because I haven’t wanted to give a church another chance to judge me or my family.

You are taught to “come as you are” Β to church but unfortunately at a lot of churches that is not necessarily the truth. You have to “come as you are” as long as it is dressed nice, speaking correctly, do not smoke, don’t sin, you are not gay, don’t have any other beliefs, and do not disagree with anything the church says.

If I could go to the church of my dreams, it would be a church full of believers and non-believers who just want to hear the Word of God or learn about the Word of God. It would be people with tattoos from head to toe, people who swear, people who dress to impress or people who dress like they couldn’t give two shits what you think, people that LOVE others and I mean truly love not you love them because you feel you have too but a true church family, people that welcome different and change, people that allow kids to be kids and babies to be babies. I know some of you will say this is impossible cause some of these things are sins, but like I said this is a church of my dreams.

So the moral of this blog is to reach those “Christians” in hopes they will change their ways or at least hide it a little better so that us Christians who knows we are flawed and knows nobody is perfect and knows that it’s okay to not have the same beliefs and don’t shun those who don’t believe or don’t shun those who don’t have that typical “going to church” look but embrace those and love the difference in one another.Β

Please share, share, share using the little icons below.

12 Comments

1. TyreTrack

September 4, 2017 at 9:10 am

A church that we could all get behind πŸ™‚

1. @momuncensored

September 4, 2017 at 9:21 am

Yes! πŸ˜πŸ˜„

2. Samantha Winchester

September 4, 2017 at 11:08 am

I can totally relate! I was active in church for years, ran the children’s church, helped put together vacation bible school. And then I divorced my (alcoholic/drug addicted/no one knew) husband. Yup, they can be assholes…..

1. @momuncensored

September 4, 2017 at 11:52 am

So sorry you had to go through that but glad you are out of that situation!! Please feel free to share! Thanks for your comment and hope you find the perfect church!

3. Ashley Ward

September 5, 2017 at 5:46 am

The Cave Ministries is the church you need to check out then. A church full of imperfect people.

1. @momuncensored

September 6, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Definitely may join y’all for a worship!

4. Susanna Swan

September 5, 2017 at 8:16 am

I think it very much depends on the church as well… The church of my childhood was exactly that; judgemental whilst pretending to be holier-than-thou. So I left and didn’t look back for 10-odd years. Then this year we went to this church… And it turned my whole perception of churches around. I see people with tattoos, one of our leaders has a nose ring, the whole place is hipstery af and our statements of “we’re not christians per se” are met with a nod of understanding. Every service, there’s a “turnaround” bit where you socialise with others, and each “break” is ended with the leader asking if someone could pop their head outside to get those who “went to get a breath of fresh air”, everyone fully well knowing they mean the smokers. It’s great to find a place where you’re not judged. There are a few judgemental people out there, but as a whole group it’s so accepting. I never thought I’d find a church like it, but here I am. I’ll never be a good christian as I’ll never believe in the bible as being god’s word as it is, but for now, I’ve found my home.

1. @momuncensored

September 6, 2017 at 10:14 pm

πŸ’š this!! I am so happy you have found your perfect church! It sounds pretty damn Awesome! πŸ˜πŸ˜„

5. Adilene

September 11, 2017 at 10:58 am

This is soooo true and relatable! Wow! Very well said.

1. @momuncensored

September 13, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Thank you for your comment! Please feel free to share with others! πŸ˜„

6. Sara

September 19, 2017 at 3:50 pm

I can relate so much. I grew up going to church Sunday morning, night and Wednesday night and any other time the church was open. One church we went to for years was a country club before the church bought it so we spent our summer days there while my mom worked in the office. I had a bad experience at summer camp when my sister heard the youth pastor talking about me badly, judging my decisions and I was a good kid damnit! It hurt a lot. I haven’t been to church since my parents divorced when I was 19. Now I have a 5yr old son who has never been in church and doesn’t even really know what it is. I am a sinhle mom and I’ve been judgesd by my christian family friends who I’ve known since I was born. It’s hard thinking about going to church. My work schedule prevents any Sunday services morning or evening. I have guilt that my son doesn’t know about God. I did put him in a christian preschool this year and I us to start reading christian kid books. I was just so hurt that I’ve never looked back. It also disgusts me when I see these “christians” on social media being so vile, judgemental and hateful. I would never want to be lumped in with them. This article really hit home. Maybe I will start looking around for a good, laid back church.

1. @momuncensored

September 19, 2017 at 8:00 pm

I am so sorry this happened to you! Those “Christians” can truly be assholes. I believe God is in your heart and I believe having a place to worship him is awesome but I also believe you can worship him from your living room, your yard, or wherever you may be. So if you can’t find the perfect church for you maybe create your own in your time with your son. You could also do Scripture related activities to make it fun for him, just like children’s church would. πŸ˜ƒ